3rd Saturday Contra Dance
When: The 3rd Saturday of each month, 7:00-10:00pm
Where: Inspired Movement Dance Studio, 2311 S. Congress Avenue, Austin
Regular admission: $10
TAADA members: $8
The dance begins at 7:00pm with a walk-through of basic moves. There is a break after 8:30pm. Please note this is a fragrance-free ance.
San Marcos Sunday Contra Dance
When: (usually) the 4th Sunday of each month, 1:30pm-4:30pm
Where: United Campus Ministry, 510 N. Guadalupe St., San Marcos
Regular admission: $10
TAADA members: $9
See the San Marcos Contra Dance site for more details. Note: The San Marcos dance is usually held on the 4th Sunday of the month, but is occassionally moved to the 3rd or 5th Sunday.
2nd and 4th Saturday English Country Dance
When: The 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month, 7:30-9:30 pm
Where: Shirley McPhail School of Dance, 8018 Mesa Drive, Austin
Suggested donation: $6
Austin English Country Dancers on Facebook
It's fun, it's elegant, it's easy to learn -- it's English Country dancing!
If you've enjoyed contra dancing, you should have a lot of fun with this style. It's not as vigorous as a contra dance, but some of the dances can move quite quickly. The music and the dances emphasize a playful yet elegant dance style. One or more of Austin's dance callers will first teach each dance by walking it through, then will call the dance to guide participants successfully through.
On occasion, we dance to live music. No costume is required, but please wear soft-soled shoes. You don't have to bring a partner, but if you've got friends who might enjoy the dance, please bring them along! We usually have 20-30 regular dancers attending, so first-timers will have lots of folks to help them through, and leave feeling successful!
What does it look like? What a video here.
Other Local Dances
(not sponsored by TAADA)
Folk dance in Austin
- Austin Barn Dancers (Contra), every Wednesday evening at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Dare2Square, old-time square dances
- Austin International Folk Dancers, Fridays at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Scandinavian Dancing, Wednesdays at the Hancock Recreation Center (back room)
- Csárdás Hungarian Dancers, Mondays at the Hancock Recreation Center
- Austin Scottish Country Dance Society, Tuesdays in West Lake Hills
- Austin Square and Round Dance Association
- Austin Friends of Traditional Music, promotes traditional music in Austin and occasionally hosts square and barn dances.
Other dance in Austin
- Four on the Floor, swing and lindy hop classes, Tuesdays at The Fed
- Austin Swing Syndicate, East Coast Swing and other couples dances, Thursdays at The Fed
- Code Blue, blues dance events around Austin
Folk dance around Texas
- Bryan/College Station Contra, 1st Saturday
- North Texas Traditional Dance Society Contra, Saturdays in Dallas/Irving
- Southwestern Folks (English Country Dance), Fort Worth
- Houston Area Traditional Dance Society, contras 2nd and 4th Saturdays, English Country Dance 1st and 3rd Thursdays
- Scottish Country Dance Alliance
- See also: Charlie Seelig's Texas Contra, Dance, and Waltz in Texas Schedule